Between 2017 and 2019 the project “Integration through Initiative Management” (INTIGRA) was carried out in the Leipzig district of Mockau. This project proposal was selected in 2016 by the Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, Building and Nuclear Safety as part of a project call on “Urban development and migration” as a pilot project for the National Urban Development Policy (NSP). The Office for Housing and Urban Renewal (AWS) of the City of Leipzig is carrying out this project with Bürogemeinschaft Gauly & Volgmann as a project partner.
The main focus of Bürogemeinschaft Gauly & Volgmann is:
- Testing new methods of participation in areas with little support with the aim of strengthening local social cohesion
- Supporting and networking of local actors in the district to activate endogenous potential
- Understanding integration in an overall social context, with the focus on the target groups of people with a migration background, refugees and people on the margins of society
- Establishment of cost-effective local management structures and implementation of pilot projects
- Examination of the transferability of the knowledge gained to other districts and cities in a national and international context
In 2019, the “Bunter Mockauer Sommer” took place for the second time, during which a green area in the center of Mockau was used by the city of Leipzig and numerous local institutions with various activities for several days. The idea was born in the regular stakeholder workshops in the district – out of the wish – to create a (temporary) meeting place for Mockau residents and to network the facilities more closely with one another.
Commissioned by: City of Leipzig, Office for Housing and Urban Renewal (AWS)